Doug Frantz, PhD, Adjoint Associate Professor
Areas of Specialization
1. Medicinal Chemistry
2. Process Chemistry
3. Asymmetric Catalysis
4. Heterocyclic Synthesis
5. Physical Organic Chemistry
6. Frantz Research Group
The centralized theme of research in my lab involves the application and development of new synthetic methodology in organic chemistry that can provide new avenues of chemical reactivity while keeping practicality as a viable and equally important goal. Many of the reactions we develop are mediated by late-transition metals catalysts that are fine-tuned through the use of real-time quantitative techniques allowing us to rapidly screen new reactions and parameters with unparalleled efficiency in academia. Furthermore, my lab is also involved with several medicinal chemistry programs aimed at developing new small molecule probes towards studying the mechanisms of stem cell differentiation. Students in my lab learn techniques in synthetic chemistry, medicinal chemistry, analytical chemistry, physical organic chemistry and drug discovery and development.
- An alternative polyamine biosynthetic pathway is widespread in bacteria and essential for biofilm formation in Vibrio cholerae
Lee, J.; Sperandio, V.; Frantz, D. E.; Longgood, J.; Camilli, A.; Phillips, M. A.; Michael, A. J.
J. Biol. Chem.: 2009-01-01; (284); 9899
- Small-molecule activation of neuronal cell fate.
Schneider, J. W.; Gao, Z.; Li, S.; Farooqi, M.; Tang, T., -S.; Bezprozvanny, I.; Frantz, D. E.; Hsieh, J.
Nature Chem. Bio.: 2008-01-01; (4); 408
- Stereoselective synthesis of acetoacetate-derived enol triflates.
Babinski, D.; Soltani, O.; Frantz, D. E
Org. Lett.: 2008-01-01; (10); 2901
- Cardiogenic small molecules that enhance myocardial repair by stem cells.
Sadek, H.; Hannack, B.; Choe, E.; Wang, J.; Latif, S.; Garry, M. G.; Garry, D. J.; Longgood, J.; Frantz, D. E.; Olson, E. N.; Hsieh, J,; Schneider, J. W.
Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A.: 2008-01-01; (105); 6063-6068
- Substitution effect on the regioselective halogen/metal exchange of 3-substituted 1,2,5-tribromobenzenes
Menzel, K.; Mills, P. M.; Frantz, D. E.; Nelson, T. D.; Kress, M. H.
Tetrahedron Lett.: 2008-01-01; (49); 415-418
Complete Publication Listing